Archaeological Museum of CorfuYour easy guide to the best holiday in Corfu
The Archaeological Museum of Corfu in Corfu, Greece was built between 1962 and 1965. The museum land was donated by the city of Corfu.
Its initial purpose was to house the archaeological finds from the Temple of Artemis in Corfu. In 1994 it was expanded with the addition of two more exhibit halls that display the more recent finds at the ancient citadel of Corfu. It is located on 1 Vraila Armeni St.
The collections of the museum include:
- A collection of unknown origin.
- Finds from excavations from the ancient city of Corfu.
- Finds from the region of Cassiope in Corfu.
- Finds from excavations in the district of Thesprotia.
The main exhibits are:
- The cenotaph of Menecrates/Menekrates.
- The Gorgon pediment from the Artemis temple of Corfu. It is the oldest stone pediment in Greece dated to 590-580 BC and is described in the New York Times review of the museum as: the finest example of Archaic temple sculpture extant.
- The Lion of Menecrates. This is the work of a famous Corinthian sculptor of the Archaic period. Dated to the end of the 7th century BC.
- The pediment of Dionysus (Bacchus). Dated to 500 BC.
- The base and part of the body of a kore from the late Archaic period. It was found during the excavation of a pottery workshop in the area of Figareto.
- A marble torso of Apollo. This is a copy of the original statue of “Parnopios Apollo” created by Pheidias (its type is known as the “Kassel Apollo”). Dated to the 2nd century AD.
- Funerary stele of Philistion daughter of Agenos and Arpalis, with the approximately translated inscription as: Greetings Philistion. You went twenty three years old in the underworld and left your mother Arpalis in mourning, your husband Aristandros widower and confused, and the children cold as orphans. [You], the glorious blood of Agenos, having chosen for yourself the last sleep, this bitter, pitch-dark tomb has accepted you [in the dust].
- The terracotta statuettes of Artemis. They were found in large quantities in the small temple of Artemis at Kanoni in Corfu city.
- Four cases with coins found in excavations at various sites of Corfu.
Postal Address: 1, Vraila Str, 49100 Corfu
GPS: 39.6189037, 19.9219862
E-mail: [email protected]
Corfu Car Rentals Your easy guide to the best Corfu Car Hire in Corfu Island All Cars with A/C Option of driving the car out of Corfu Island Pay on arrival Online bookings WITHOUT Credit Card Lowest price guaranteed Find a lower price, we’ll match it and rent your car...
Overview Corfu car rental Michalis is one of the most reliable car rental company in CORFU operating for over 34years from (1980). Our main goal all this years is our customer’s full satisfaction. MICHALIS CAR HIRE in CORFU is your only choice when it comes...
Corfu’s biggest car rental booking service Cars-Corfu.com is the Corfu’s biggest car rental booking service, arranging rentals for more than 15 years. Every year, thousands of customers trust us to find the perfect car for their trip. Because we work with all the...
Beautiful Villa located in Gouvia (Poulades area) 1,5 km. from Super Market, 5 minutes distance from the Gouvia marina, 15 minutes distance from Corfu Town center, constructed in 2008. General: 3.5 acres plot, Underfloor heating leveling and thermostats at all levels,...
Corfu Low Cost Car Rentals Economy Corfu car rental with the lowest prices guaranteed All Cars with A/C Option of driving the car out of Corfu Island Pay on arrival Online bookings WITHOUT Credit Card Lowest price guaranteed Find a lower price, we’ll match it and rent...